Sunday, April 11, 2010

My baby can read!

I'm talking about a 3 year old not like a 6 month old they show in the commercials, I mean comeon!!!! really? between diaper changes and sleepless nights these people had time to show their babies flash cards to memorize. I'm not saying babies don't have the ability i'm just saying it's a bit ridiculous don't ya think. Talk about pressure building, in the next ten years they'll want us to read the Encyclopedia Britannica to babies in the womb so they come out reciting Shakespere. I do believe in enabling, providing them the tools and having progressive playtime with them . They learn things faster than you can keep up but there are always signs of readiness they show for any kind of learning. Miss A. knew how to count to 13 and knew the entire alphabet by the time she was 18 months, she showed the interest, I just enabled, never forced always fun. Beginning of reading started when she became interested in memorizing spelling of words she liked. Obviously first you read to them and point out words and show them that they consist of a buncha letters, that's the effort I did put in knowing my child's own abilities and readiness to understand when the time was right. I wasn't expecting much but she caught on really fast and seemed very curiously interested. Then started asking me spellings of different colors because at that time that's what she was in to, colors, colors and colors. She would keep on asking till she knew them by heart. Repetition people, an amazing tool for babies and toddlers. Anyhow, that's how it started. So recently she got in to playing computer games, so as soon as I came across the website www.starfall.com I got her hooked on it. People if you have a toddler around the same age its an Amazing tool. They have these silly songs that teach you the sounds all letters make and rhyming stories with funny characters. Love It!!! So here and there she has started recognizing familiar words and I just get so excited everytime she picks up a word off a billboard or cereal box. So if this is helpful information for anyone out there i'm beyond glad and I know a few more websites I can provide if you'll leave me a message in the comment box. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment